Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Normal to bizarre in 24 hours

When you live in a tiny house with five other people sometimes it doesn't take long for things to get a little strange.  This time it took roughly 24 hours.

About 2:30 a.m. Tuesday morning - a small child was next to my bed asking me how she knows which bottle is Benadryl.  To which I try to remember where I am, sit up and look at the clock, and manage a, "WHAAAT???"  She proceeds to tell me that I had just told her (which is weird, but in my house could be normal) to put Benadyl in her ear.  Huh???  Several things went through my head:  Who are you?  Why would I say that?  And lastly - Benadryl generally goes in your mouth, but I must say the ear could work.

I got the girl child some medicine, tucked her safely back in her bed and tried to go back to sleep.  I think I did sometime around 4:00.

Sometime around 4:30 - a different small child walked into my room and announced her throat hurt.  Badly.  This time I know I did not say to put Benadryl in her ear.

5:00 a.m. - My alarm rang.  I ignored it.

6:15 - I got up and started my day.

From 7:00 a.m. to about 2:45 I came out of a month long weather-induced depression, did TWO work-outs (one of them with Kim Kardashian who will now be referred to as KK), ate a slice of delicious home made cornbread, wrote a short but worthy blog post, did some actual work, cleaned the kitchen, did two loads of laundry, logged into my Twitter account, wandered around the web looking for good things to read, finished a collection of short stories, read about the work of John Paul the II (he will resurface later in the form of a priest), and generally felt pretty proud of my day's accomplishments.  Diet - check!  Work-out - check!  No yelling - check!  Read something worthy - check!  Wrote something worthy - check! 

2:45 - Now here's where things started to down slide.  I thought my son might enjoy some home made cheese popcorn when he got home from school.  So, I made him some.  Then, I ate the whole bowl.

3:15 - One of the girls got off the bus complaining of ear pain and a sore throat.  My boy child was miffed because I ate all his cheese popcorn.  I told her to go lay down, and I told him not to be so whiney.

3:20 - 4:30 -  We all got through homework, piano, snacks, chores, girl being sick, and playing outside.  I made a semi-home made chicken pot pie (I detest chicken pot pie of any shape or form) for dinner and was feeling happy about just being hungry for a small piece (turns out cheese popcorn is very filling - especially when you eat a whole mixing bowl full).

5:00 - We sat down to eat as a family.  Cleavers - not quite, but we looked fairly normal.

5:15 - I sat down to eat my first bite of pot pie (up until this point I had been making something the sickie could easily eat without bothering her throat which was now really hurting her).  Baby vomited all over the table.  Baby was not sick, but she may be bulimic.

5:30 - Dinner was cleared off the table.  I had decidedly lost my appetite (yay for me!).  I escorted the sickie upstairs to brush her teeth and go to bed.  The other two children went outside to play.

6:00 - 8:00 - I just tried to manage a normal bedtime routine while one child was sick, our only boy was trying to be sick for attention, the baby was hungry because she vomited her dinner, and I was thinking how I could justify eating the leftover Maggiano's chocolate chocolate cake in the frig.

8:00 - I ate the cake.  And it was yummy.

8:15 - 10:00 - I ate a chicken sandwich with chips.  It was also yummy.  I aimlessly watched a show I don't like and then a show I like.  I considered doing something more worthy and decided against it.  I was surprised and considered it a coincidence that KK was going to be on Letterman.  AND she still looked good from our work-out that morning (I, on the other hand, had gained a good 10 pounds since then).  I considered staying up for Letterman and decided against it.

10:00 - 10:50 - I started a new novel.

10:50 - I called it a day.  Good or bad?  It was a toss up.

11:00 - A girl child (not the sickie) was in my room telling me she had a sore throat.  It was okay.  I was able to manage it.

2:30 - I dreamt that KK

an unlikely pair?

and Pope John Paul the II (but he was just a priest still) have purchased (from my church) a house that they have renovated into an Italian restaurant (makes perfect sense to me in the dream because I know John Paul was Italian???).  I am there at the restaurant and they are serving a great chocolate cake.  BUT, you have to do this crazy work-out in order to get the cake.  But, it's okay because all my friends are there (the same friends I went to Maggiano's with in Real Life) and they are willing to do the work-out for the cake.

2:45 - The sickie woke up and needed medicine.

3:00 - 5:00 - I laid awake trying to analyze my dream.  In the end there was no analysis only insomnia.

Today I will try to work-out, eat right, work a little on my resolutions, and most importantly - stay sane, which as it turns out is not even a resolution, but could be the hardest task I have faced yet. 



Jae said...

Welcome to the Crazy Train. ;) Weather changes causing sore throats, fevers and lots of MUCUS. :-D Yum! Stay sane girl!

Monica said...

i think KK and/or the pope are both offensive to FB, but i am still trying to figure that out. oh, and happy birthday, betty white.