Sunday, November 11, 2012

Happy Blogthday To Me.

Today is my blog birthday.  So, my blogthday?  Since I usually avoid birthdays like the plague, I've not ever celebrated my blogthday.  But, I'm in the mood for cake, so here it goes.

What I've learned in four years of blogging.

1.  I'm a pretty shallow writer as evidenced by my writing topics which have ranged from lice to cleaning house to Pinterest.  However, this does not make me a shallow individual.  After all, this year I did consider running for office (of what was never quite determined, but I did vet and choose a running mate).

2.  I love my kids with all my heart.  This does not compel me to write about their fabulous traits or glorify them on my blog.  Rather it makes my flaws as a mom and their flaws as kids stick out like back fat in a two piece.  I choose to write about the back fat.

3.  I am a comment whore and I love the internets.  Turns out - I love comments and interacting with people that I do not know nor have ever met.  So, I guess it's a good thing I'm happily married?

4.  I would rather read other people's blogs than clean my house or do laundry.  So, blogging has taken my procrastination to new (and exciting?) levels.

5.  As much as I abhor grammatical errors and as much as I scour my posts for them, I still find them in posts that were published days and weeks earlier.  Blech.  And, it still makes me cringe.  Like fingernails on a chalk board.

6.  For me, the urge to write directly coincides with the amount of work that is piled on my desk. 

7.  I'm not the only person out in the world who:  has crazy, whacked out kids, has a husband who (although I love dearly) occasionally drives me nuts, has a family that is kinda like the family in Little Miss Sunshine, and who likes to write about all the confusion and chaos.

8.  Since I don't really believe in therapy for myself, I *might* be addicted to self-diagnosing and then solving my problems (and then paying myself with Starbucks coffee).  Blogging helps this insane compulsion.

9.  I've changed a little on my blog in the past four years.  And, I guess it's because I've changed a little in real life.  I'm older now, so I care less what other people think and I've somehow managed to gain a teensy bit more confidence.  I still suck at dressing myself, buying bathing suits, parenting, and staying on a stupid diet.  But, what's changed is that I really don't mind admitting it anymore.

And, last but not least.  I may not have 9000 readers.  Or even 10 on a good day.  But, I still like them all.  And I still like blogging.  Just like the recently re-elected president, I'm probably in for another four years.

So, here's to blogging.  I'm eating cake.  If you feel like it - send me a present.  I don't mind belated ones.  I'll even save you some cake. 

Or maybe I won't. 

21 comments:

Nomads By Nature said...

Happy blogthday! I find the freedom to be ok with being flawed to be one of the best presents that comes with age. Or maybe it's just a universal survival tactic. Either way it rocks and so do you! Looking forward to another 4 years of your blog, at least!

C said...

I have had my blog since September 2004. I used to write a lot, crack myself up, get uppity and all that good shit. Then i got a job (in addition to the mothering and the wife-ing, then i piled the second child on that and pitterted out. but i wont give it up. Now it is kind o a landing ground for my cookies and baking and that is ok. That is just what it is now. I also have a blog of a book i am writing that involves lots of bad behavior, and smut. It is based on my twenties. i have a lot of name changing to do though. *shrugging* it's not going anywhere. Google bought this bitch.
Happy Blogthday!

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

Happy blogday!!!

WeezaFish said...

Yay!! I'm having trouble saying the word out loud without spitting but Happy Blogthday lady. Love yours, so very pleased to hear you're in for the long haul. I love your observations, here and always I concur, agree, get it and go through the same old crap :) the joys of sharing our lives online! Also now at that confident, not taking any crap from nobody no how stage of life. It rocks!

Monica said...

@all my commenters - i love you guys(gals). you are the. best. hands. down. *me toasting you guys with a cold beer - or actually my excessively large cup of morning joe*

LSS said...

Little Miss Sunshine is one of my ALL-TIME favorite movies!!! Somehow there is a (delicate?) balance between family secrets and TMI ... still haven't found it for myself but I'm definitely getting less tied to others' opinions as I grow older ... thanks for your commitment to sharing your lesson learning and imperfections, sissy - it's an inspiration!

Monica said...

thanks, LSS. xoxoxoxo. and then some more.

Unknown said...

Happy Bloghtday! Hope you go on to celebrate many more!

Monica said...

@kathy perez - Thanks! :)

Mind Margins said...

Happy blogthday! You have such a great blog and I always look forward to reading about your kids, family, and crazy life! Here's to another year of great writing!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogthday! I'm so glad that you plan to probably be around for another 4 years. Me, too!
~Barack Obama
okay, not really
~whatimeant2say

Monica said...

@mindmargins - thanks, friend. i look forward to reading yours, too. :D @whatimeant2say - thank you, too! :D someday we will have to actually meet in person (i don't really have blue hair).

Leigh Powell Hines said...

Happy Blog-Birthday to you!! Congratulations and here's to many more!!

Monica said...

@leigh - thanks! glad i "met" you during these past four years. :o)

jamiew said...

i might suggest using this birthday on all your forthcoming legal documents so that you can maintain your youth, although i fully appreciate your "youthful spirit" and proclivity to do youngish/foolish/drunkish things with me.

cb said...

i love you day in the life you always makea me laugh and snort

Monica said...

@jamiew - you get 100 points for using the high dollar word "proclivity" (which i've always thought sounds dangerously close to something naughty) in a comment. and i like doing drunkish/dumbish/spendishmoneyish things with you as well. @cb - snorting is good for the soul. or something.

Nomads By Nature said...

Just wanted to let you know that your chocolate crack cake has been specifically requested for our Thanksgiving potluck meal. I am popular here because of you and the universal love for REALLY AWESOME cake and chocolate. Thanks for sharing the secret!

Monica said...

@nomads - OMG! get outta my brain! i was just thinking about that cake for thanksgiving. i decided to search for a chocolate pecan pie recipe instead since i live with a bunch of traditionalists. i'll keep you posted. ;)

Tiva said...

Happy Blogthday :) Hope it was a good one. I just found your blog and its awesome. I have to agree blogging reading them/writing one) has led to an unbelievable increase in my procrastination abilities...I am glad to see I am not alone in this :) Have a wonderful day and I look forward to reading more.

Monica said...

@tiva - thanks! the blogthday love has been overwhelming and kinda made me want to cry. but, i've decided to eat more cake instead.