Monday, May 24, 2010

What started with a giant tricycle ended with a cell phone

And that would be this past weekend. What a hoot. We wound up at the Missions baseball game Friday night. PLAY BALL!!! I grew up the daughter of a serious baseball fan. My daddy loves baseball. I am a zero sports fan - which means I like NO sports (equally). But, I love, love, love being at a baseball game. It takes me right back to when I was a little girl and I love it. Any team'll do - cuz remember I hate sports! ;o) It's just the guy yelling, "PEANUTS, POPCORN,' the seventh inning stretch, singing Take Me Out to the Ball Game, the random balls that go out into the fans, the people watching, the crazy antics at semi-pro games, Henry the Puffy Taco (sorry you have to be from San Antonio to understand that). So, when we wound up at the Missions on my kids' school spirit night - I was happy. What made it even BETTER was that my crazy husband volunteered to ride the giant, trick tricycle to first base along with another mom and the assistant principal after the third inning. Oh, I couldn't wait to see it.

It was everything it promised to be and more. One of the players held onto Ed's leg so that he couldn't actually pedal the tricycle while our kids were screaming from the bench, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAD!!!!!!!!!!!" Then they squirted Ed mercilessly with a water gun as he attempted to ride this giant tricycle to first base. (The handlebars are loosened to the point where no steering is actually possible). The kids were screaming hysterically and I was having a pretty good laugh. The assistant principal won - which considering the kids still have two and half more weeks of school - I am thankful.

Saturday I was a proud parent day all around. Malcolm competed in San Marcos at Texas State University in a piano competition. Sofia rode in the city-wide bicycle rodeo (she gets that cycling skill straight from her daddy) downtown. It was a hectic, but proud day!

Saturday night despite all of us being exhausted - we decided to brave the BMX track. I packed us dinner and after church we headed out to the track to watch Malcolm race. He did really well for being up since the crack of dawn and out late the night before at the game. It had been a while since the girls and I had gone out to the track and it was really fun. I think Malcolm liked us being there to cheer him on because in the main event he pushed it and took first. It was a sight to see and we were proud.

Sunday brought big changes in our family. I succumbed to the pressure of the world and bought a cell phone. Malcolm (he's 8) promptly told me how to change my ringer and get to games (according to him that's 'very important'). It is proving to be a challenge and I am not really sure it's going to improve my quality of life, but we shall see.

The good news - the phone has a camera. So, I may actually be able to provide nice photos again of everything I am talking about. Don't hold your breath, though. If it's like everything else with this phone, I should be able to do it in about a year. ;o)

Good weekend to start what promises to be a crazy week. Hope yours was good and hope your week is great. :o)

No comments: